Welcome to Year 1
We are a lively and happy year group who always work hard and try to do our best. Our class names are Owl, Penguin and Jaguar.
- Mrs Holmes and Mrs Johnson teach in Owl Class (room 1)
- Miss Purrier is the teacher in Penguin Class (room 2)
- Mrs Major is the teacher in Jaguar Class (room 3)
- Mrs Stoker is the teacher in Otter Class (room 4)
We start each morning with a phonics session. It is really important to be in school on time as some children go to different teachers for phonics. Learning to read is tricky and we all need lots of extra practise at home. Our book-change is on a Thursday, but please ensure you bring your book bag and reading diary to school every day. We love to put stars in your diary for each time you read at home. If you manage to read everyday your name will go into our weekly raffle to win a book! After 10 weeks of 7 reads a week you will be automatically awarded a book.
It helps to have your PE kit in school every day, we keep them in the lockers in the corridor. Each class has PE on the following days:
- Owl class have P.E. on Monday mornings, and Thursday afternoon.
- Penguin class have P.E on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Jaguar class have P.E on Tuesday and Wednesday.
‘Lots of learning and fun goes on in year 1’ J
In the autumn term, our topic is called ‘from the treetops and beyond’. We read ‘The Grufallo’ and visit ‘Highdown Hill’. We then have a Planetarium visit and read ‘Man on the moon’